Several volunteer driver programs are currently operating in Marin. Please see the program descriptions below to see which one is right for you.
Whistlestop’s CarePool program helps older adults get to medical appointments or go grocery shopping. CarePool offers FREE rides to Marin County residents 65 or older and
for persons with disabilities. Call the Travel Navigators at 415.454.0902 to request a ride. Our volunteer drivers can offer extra support, such as walking you from your home to the car, as this program provides a unique “door-through-door” service.
CarePool’s success depends on people in the community. Volunteer drivers will accept rides through email, and only commit to rides that are convenient for their schedules. Funds are available to reimburse drivers for mileage. If you are interested in volunteering and have a clean driving record and insurance, please call Laurie at 415.456.9062 x 117 or email email@example.com. Providing a few trips a month can make all the difference to a person in need
The Safe Transport And Reimbursement (STAR) Program, formerly Volunteer Driver Program (VDP), empowers older adults and people with disabilities to remain independent by providing a mileage reimbursement for their friends, neighbors and other community members who provide them with rides.
- The STAR Program provides a free transportation reimbursement for older adults and people with disabilities living in Marin County.
- Participants identify members of their community who are willing to be a driver for them.
- The STAR program does not provide a pool of volunteer drivers, but rather allows the rider to find their own trusted driver and provide a mileage reimbursement. A caregiver, friend or neighbor may be a driver. You can have more than one driver and we encourage you to do so.
- We help our participants overcome the feeling of dependency by providing a financial mileage reimbursement so that participants have resources to give in return for the help they receive.
- With the STAR Program, participants receive door to door assistance and companionship for medical appointments, shopping, classes, family visits, or a meal and a night out.
- For more information call the Travel Navigators at 415.454.0902
To qualify you must:
- Live in Marin County AND
- Be over the age of 60 OR be under the age of 60 and have been approved for Marin Access Paratransit
Call 415-454-0902 to sign up for the STAR program with one of our Travel Navigators.
Seniors & those with disabilities living in West Marin may qualify for assistance to help secure a volunteer escort-driver. Once you have completed the necessary application procedures, you may be eligible for TRIPtrans assistance. You will receive monthly cash mileage reimbursements for your volunteer work.
Arrangements for travel are made between you and your volunteer driver, as mutually convenient. Records of travel are sent to us each month to validate your completed travel.
- Reimbursed at .40 a mile
- 400 miles a month limit
- IHSS workers OK
- Family helpers must be approved in advance
Call 415-454-0902 to sign up for the TRIP program with one of our Travel Navigators.
Reimbursement forms for this program can be found here
For assistance finding a volunteer once you are determined eligible for the program call West Marin Senior Services at 415.663.8148 x 103.
CARSS provides free rides for seniors 60 and older anywhere within Sausalito, the floating homes community and Gateway Shopping Center (CVS, Dollar Tree, Ross and more) Monday through Friday 10am through 2pm.
These trips can be for any purpose as long as they remain within the boundaries of Sausalito and the floating homes. Riders will be requested to fill out a simple application prior to their first ride.
For more information please call 415.944.5475 or visit their website.